Casas del Bosque Pequeñas Producciones Sauvignon Blanc 2017
93 pts Tim Atkin
A richly textured, more overtly gastronomic style of Sauvignon. Heady notes of ginger, white pepper and grapefruit dominate on the nose. In the mouth a layered flavour profile kicks-off with an attack of nectarine and white peach leading to a smokey, mineral finish with just a hint of rock salt.
Reviews and other Notes
93 pts Tim Atkin December 2017
All fruit was harvested from our own vineyard - located within the coolest, westernmost reaches of the Casablanca Valley. Sourced from a mixture of two clones (88% clone 242 from the “Cantera” and 12% clone 107 from the “Trampa” blocks) from hillsides plantings on 110 million-year-old decomposed granites with a thin topsoil of red volcanic clay. The blocks used in this blend were cropped at an average of 4.5 tonnes per hectare (1.8 tons per acre). Harvest was carried nocturnally in April 2015. On arrival at the winery, all grapes were first destemmed and crushed to stainless steel tanks (via a chiller in order to drop the temperature to between 0 and -2°C or 28-32ºF) where they were then left to cold soak for 185 hours (8 days). Following this time the free-run juice was drained by gravity from the tanks. The remaining skins and juice were then dug-out and gently squeezed using pneumatic presses in order to separate light from hard pressings. The resulting juices were then left to cold settle (at 10ºC/50ºF) for 4 days following which time 97% of the blend was racked to 2nd and 3rd use French oak barrels and fermented with selected yeasts (with temperatures peaking at 18ºC or 65ºF). The remaining 3% of the blend was racked to stainless steel tanks, inoculated with selected yeasts and ultra-cool fermented (reaching temperatures as low as 6.5ºC/44ºF at the peak of the fermentation). After the completion of fermentation the wines were left on gross lees for three weeks (without stirring) before being blended, cold stabilized, filtered and bottled.